Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gen13 #58


“Gotta Kill ‘Em All!”

Cover Price: $2.50
Bargain Price: $0.25
Cover Date: December 2000

When I was a teen, I loved Gen13. I mean, seriously, boobies. In the years since, however, I’ve pretty much dismissed the whole affair. I mean, seriously, boobies?
At least I had dismissed it until I started to hear tell that Adam Warren’s run on the book late in the series was worth checking out. A quick trip to the quarter bin later and I was the proud owner of a couple of issues of Gen13 for the first time in years (not counting, of course, Gail Simone’s recent revamp, which was really pretty good). I started with this issue, figuring an Adam Warren penned deadly Pokemon story might be something. Unfortunately for me, this was not one of the Adam Warren issues. I decided to give it a try anyway, but, ugh, it is pretty rough. The story does indeed feature deadly, deadly Pokemon and the Gen13 team, who are inexplicably working as a masked Manga style strike force in Japan. It’s all cluttered action and clumsy dialog and, honestly, I just couldn’t get through the whole thing. Seriously, even the early boob-filled J. Scott Campbell stuff was kind of fun, but this issue is just a mess. The sole bright spot is Ed Benes’ art, which fits pretty well with the established Gen13 aesthetic (again, boobies).

No comments:

Post a Comment